Friday, November 7, 2008

An introcuction to Latin American football

Today was sports day at school, and I am exhausted! Even though the girls at the school couldn't believe I was going to play soccer with the boys instead of jumping rope with them for once, I had a great time. Being a mostly non-soccer playing American female playing with 30+ Honduran boys, a guy from England, and a guy from the states who plays soccer, I don't think I impressed anyone with my skills. I did make a nice save by the goal, and the boys yelled something like "the gringo got it!" They laughed and yelled "mano, mano" when I instinctively put my hand up to block the ball.

I don't know where they possibly get their energy. Not just today, but everyday... the amount of calories they intake doesn't seem like it could be nearly as much as what they burn. Everyday before and after school and during recess the boys are playing hard at football, marbles, or frisbee (recently... this has been fun!). The girs are constantly jumping rope, even up and down hills. We played for over an hour and a half today on a field that is about as big as a regulation field. After about 45 minutes I was desperate for a water break (or a break of any sort!). No one had brought any water. When we got back to the school, I guzzled agua like it was my job, but still none for the kids. They went right on playing in the hot sun (yes it has warmed up a lot here) until we made them come in.

For anyone from Southgate who may be reading this, I sang the Friday song in the back of the pick-up truck on the way to work today:)

2 comments:

G&T W said...

Fa la la la la lalalala...tis the season. Christmas Ale is in. Of course we toasted you, the person who introduced us to this fine ale. We wished for your safety and can't wait until you are back to have some yourself.

Traci said...

Looking forward to a Christmas Ale or 2 with you guys!