Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Greetings...

The three Americans in our group of volunteers here in Honduras decided we were going to splurge today to properly celebrate the biggest food holiday in the states. Along with the two English folk in our group, we all told our host families we didn't want lunch or dinner at home today (except Ben, who will probably eat four meals and still be hungry). Lunch today at Red Frog bar, or Sapo Rojo if you will, consisted of loaded nachos, BBQ chicken wings Hooters style, and homemade french fries. In honor of the American holiday, the British among us also had 2 beers each... I'm still pretty dehydrated from this morning's futbol match with the kids, so a Fresca sounded better (yes, this is really me!). For dinner we are headed to a local pizza place that will be showing American football on TV. Pizza for dinner was the plan, but Pizza Jim may have some traditional Thanksgiving cuisine to offer. Pumpkin pie would be fabulous. After dinner and football, its back to Red Frog to finally try their "world famous" uterus shots we keep hearing about. I have seen them... apparently it is some kind of moonshine with a splash of milk dropped in that curddles and looks like a floating fetus. What better way to commemorate the first bountiful harvest the Pilgrims and Native Americans worked so hard to reap? Nothing says "thank you" like bar food and a shot of embryo.

On another note, I have not had a good week health wise. Since last weekend I have had a cold that is still with me, but better today. Two days ago I barely had a voice. Yesterday I decided no matter how unrulely the little hellians at school were, I was not going to raise my voice! It helped. My cough has gotten better, but my sinuses are still congested. Separately from the common cold, I also had my first travelers stomach sickness a few days ago. An unpleasant 24 hours. Feeling better, though, and ready for tomorrow's cumpleanos fiesta at school with pinatas, cake, and presents. These people know how to celebrate birthdays.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving! It sounds like you had a delicious meal. We missed you in Ohio, where it was very very cold. I saw your family in church.