Saturday, October 25, 2008

Where to begin...

Has it really just been a week since I last posted? It seems like so much has happened! I survived being pick-pocketed in Guatemala last Saturday night, a wild ride to Honduras over roads covered by mudslides, and teaching in a room of 19 10-year-olds, much of the time by myself. With the exception of last Friday, when they were wild little things, teaching with my limited Spanish language ability has gone better than I expected! The ride to and from the school in the back of a pick-up truck along a steep and muddy road above a river adds excitement to my days. Copan, where I live, is a very small little town. There are several bars, restaurants, and cafes, though. Where we teach is very rural. I have seen only one house, and there are cows and chickens making noises outside the classroom.

A few of us visited the Mayan Indian Ruins yesterday, which is less than a mile walk from town. Impressive and incredible to see the structures they built over 1500 years ago. We got to see where they played a ball-game every 52 years... in some cases, the winner was sacrificed in a religious ceremony. A game in which I don't think my competetivness would come out!

This morning I went horse back riding up the mountains just outside of town. Definitely sore now, and I'm sure tomorrow will feel even better. Our horses were at full trots (at least what I consider a trot) up and down the muddy roads!

Either blogger or the internet here (which is more likely) is not coorperating for me to add pictures to my post, so maybe later...

No comments: